- Fire Department
- Inspections & Code Enforcement
Schedule an Inspection or Report a Code Violation
Anyone needing to schedule a fire inspection, report a possible fire code violation or having questions about the Fire Code are encouraged to contact the fire marshal at 910-424-0948 ext. 3397 or by email to Bobby Carter.
Inspection Fees, Permits & Fines
The Town of Hope Mills charges for fire inspections and permits.
2022 - 2023 Fee Schedule -Fire
Fees for fire inspections are based on the square footage of the occupancy.
All permits are obtained through the town’s inspection department.
Fines will be issued for fire code violations and are assessed on a per violation and per occurrence basis.
The fire marshal is responsible for conducting state mandated fire inspections and fire code enforcement in all new and existing buildings, except for 1 and 2 family dwellings. On July 1, 1991, North Carolina adopted the state “Fire Code” and state legislation enacted a mandatory inspection schedule. This schedule governs the frequency of inspections based on occupancy classifications.
|Type||Example||Frequency of Inspection|
|Industrial||Every two years|
|Educational||Every two years|
|Businesses||Every three years|
|Mercantile||Every three years|
|Storage||Every three years|
|Religious||Every three years|
Commonly Observed Fire Code Violations
- Failure to have fire extinguishers serviced annually
- Failure to have automatic fire protection systems (Sprinkler Systems and Fire Alarm Systems) serviced annually
- Hood Suppression Systems not serviced (must be serviced every six months)
- Improper use of extension cords
- Inoperative exit signs and emergency lighting
- Improper locking devices on required exits
- Blocked or locked fire exits
- Poor housekeeping and storage practices