The Town of Hope Mills operates under a NPDES Phase II Stormwater Permit. Development activity is regulated by the Town as a requirement of this permit.
Drainage structures installed in the Town limits
All drainage structures within the Town of Hope Mills must be designed and constructed in accordance with the Town of Hope Mills Stormwater Drainage Design Standards. These standards apply to all drainage structures to be installed within the Town of Hope Mills without regard to development size.
Phase II Post Construction Rules
New development within the Town of Hope Mills may be subject to the Phase II Post-Construction guidelines as defined in the Phase II Post-Construction Article of the Stormwater Management Ordinance-Chapter 67 of the Town of Hope Mills Code of Ordinances found here:
The Town of Hope Mills Administrative Manual for the Implementation of Phase II Post-Construction can be downloaded here:
The Town of Hope Mills utilizes the standards outlined in the most current edition of the NC Department of Water Quality’s Best Management Practices Manual. The complete manual can be found here:
For more information regarding these rules, contact the Stormwater Department at (910) 424-4555 ext. 3517.
Stormwater Management Permit Step by Step Application Process
A consultation meeting is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED prior to the submittal of any Stormwater Management Plans. There is no charge for any consultation meeting. A consultation meeting is a valuable tool for the developer and design engineer as it provides an opportunity to discuss the development, the stormwater infrastructure, any potential problems and issues, and the application process prior to any actual submittals.
- Submit compete Stormwater Management Application Packet----A complete packet includes every item in the submittal checklist.
- After approval, submit a written list of work and cost estimates for each BMP. This list must be signed and sealed by a qualified registered North Carolina professional engineer.
- Submit a performance installation security in the amount of the approved cost estimate plus 25%.
- Receive approved Stormwater Management Permit.
- Begin Construction-staff will perform spot inspections during construction
- Complete construction and perform final inspection.
- Submit Final plat with associated easements, hard copy as built plans, and Final BMP Compliance Certification and BMP Compliance Checklist forms for approval.
- Submit recorded final plat, recorded Operation and Maintenance Agreements with BMP plan(s), completed and sealed BMP Compliance Certification and Checklist, recorded Deed restrictions and protective covenants, and digital as-built plans.
- Receive final approval.
- 60 days after final approval is received, the developer/property owner may apply for the release of performance securities. It is the responsibility of the developer/property owner to apply for their release-the Stormwater Department will not send notice.