The Patrol Division operates out of a centralized location at the main police station, 5776 Rockfish Road. It is the core operational function of the Police Department.
Patrol officers are the first responders to a wide array of calls for service and cover the streets 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The officers take great personal pride in doing their best to answer calls in a timely, professional, and courteous manner.
The Patrol Command Team has 2 Watch Commanders (Lieutenant) and four Patrol Sergeants who oversee a team policing model that is staffed with 20 officers. Officers drive marked patrol cars, which are equipped with state-of-the-art technology and equipment. Each patrol car has its own computer that receives vital real time information to help officers respond to emergencies and other calls for service.
Officers are provided top quality police gear, to include uniforms, a handgun, leather gear, a collapsible baton, chemical spray, handcuffs, and various office equipment needed to perform the job.
The department has many other tools to assist the officer’s in their day-to-day activities to include less lethal weapon such as X-26 Tasers.
Typical duties for a Patrol Officer include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide community oriented problem solving.
- Patrol a designated area of the Town to preserve law and order, discover, and prevent the commission of crimes; enforce traffic and other ordinances.
- Respond to alarms, public service calls, traffic accidents, and criminal activity
- Photograph and collect evidence
- Interview suspects, victims, and witnesses
- Prepare reports on arrests made, activities performed, and unusual incidents observed
- Arrest and maintain custody of prisoners; conduct breathalyzer tests and record results; book and transfer prisoners to jail