Reducing Stormwater Pollution
Vehicle and Garage
Lawn and Garden
- Dispose of vehicle fluids and other harmful liquids properly.
- Store hazardous materials properly in the original labeled container.
- Dispose of unwanted chemicals at the local hazardous household waste collection site. NEVER pour chemicals down the storm drain!
- Check your car for leaks and have your car repaired when you find them. Keep your car tuned up.
Sidewalk and Driveway
- Keep your gutters swept and clear of leaves and debris.
- Use pesticides and fertilizers sparingly. Never apply when the weather forecast is calling for rain.
- Pick up trash and litter around your yard.
- Use drought resistant native plants to conserve water and reduce runoff.
- Conserve water. Adjust sprinklers if they are running into the street or gutter.
- Sweep litter and debris from the sidewalk and driveway. Hosing these areas down washes debris and litter into the stormdrain.
- If you wash your own car, pull your car up onto the grass to avoid washing runoff into the storm drains.